What kind of business should I start, really?
So many businesses start at the wrong foot by getting into something that is not meant for them in the first place. Business owners get carried away by sheer numbers as to what business will give them the maximum revenue and profits. Rarely do people pause to reflect on some fundamental questions such as, “What kind of business should I start?” and “Is this business the right business for me?”.
“The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.” ~ Malcolm S. Forbes
Steve Jobs, the iconic founder of Apple was once asked by a reporter, “What would be the single, most valuable piece of advice you’d like to give to entrepreneurs?”
Steve Jobs’ reply was simply this:
“People say you have a lot of passion for what you’re doing, and it’s totally true and the reason is because it’s so hard that if you don’t, any rational person would give up. It’s really hard and you have to do it over a sustained period of time. So if you don’t love it, if you’re not having fun doing it, if you don’t really love it, you’re going to give up. And that’s what happens to most people, actually. If you really look at the ones that ended up being successful in the eyes of society, and the ones who didn’t, often times it’s the ones that are successful love what they did so they could persevere, you know, when it got really tough. And the ones that didn’t love it, quit. Because they’re sane, right? Who would want to put up with this stuff if you don’t love it? So it’s a lot of hard work and it’s a lot of worrying constantly and, if you don’t love it, you’re gonna fail. So, you gotta love it, you gotta have passion.” ~ Steve Jobs
If not already doing so, choose a business you’d love to devote your time to, build and grow. Every business will demand a lot of hard work, focus and consistent efforts on your part. So if you do not enjoy doing what you do, chances are you will not go too far in that business.
Also, people like to buy from people who are happy, knowledgeable and passionate about their work. We may all recall visiting a good restaurant and being greeted by a cheerful waiter / waitress who seemed to enjoy serving others. It made our experience pleasurable and enticed us to revisit that restaurant in the future, isn’t it?
Key questions to consider while choosing a business: Having established this, here are a few key questions you should ask yourself to discover if the business you’re exploring to get into, qualifies as the right business for you:
- Does the business you’re considering getting into excite you and make you jump out of bed early in the mornings, ready to go?
- Does this business align well with your natural talents and abilities, core passions and things you love to do as a hobby?
- The right business is the one you’d love to do even if you were to do it for free, all your life. Does the business you’re trying to get into fall into this category?
- A business that helps you be your “Authentic Self” is absolutely vital to your success in this digital age as businesses today are expected to be honest and transparent. Does this business gel well with your core values and overall vision and expectations from life? Does it help you be “You”?
- Our gut feelings are usually associated with much more wisdom and insight, than we would like to believe. So trust your gut feelings more! In-fact, here is another great quote from Steve Jobs to back my claims. While addressing a group of students at the Stanford University in 2005, Steve Jobs said, “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” So what is your gut feeling about this business you’re considering? Do you feel a resounding “yes” when thinking of this business as your right business?
If the answer to all of the above five questions is “yes”, then you should know that the business you’re getting into is the right business for you. It is only a matter of time, when you should start seeing healthy and profound success with this business!!